Putting a loved one in a nursing home is a difficult decision regardless of the circumstances. In the case of Alzheimer’s, most research shows that at some point in the progression of the disease a nursing home becomes the right decision for the family in Perth Amboy. According to the US Department of Health and Human Services, there are nearly 2 million people currently living in some form of nursing home. Over 90% of these residents are over 65 years old and most require 24 hour supervision due to some physical limitation or dementia.
How Important Is Alzheimer's Care?
Alzheimer’s disease is an extremely sad and difficult condition to work with. This disease is very difficult on the family members in Perth Amboy. Just thinking that as the days slip by your aging loved one will soon become more and more distant. This can be very depressing and an emotional time for most family caregivers. Besides the common emotion of depression, most family members often feel angry, frustrated, and even at a loss for words.
Caring For Alzheimer's - Take Care of Yourself, Too!
Home care is generally non-medical assistance offers in home setting. Usually the services are hired for adults who are not in a position to perform daily activities because of one reason or another. Apart from providing family members peace of mind, the adults receiving assistance remain at the comfort of their homes compared to being in a nursing home or facility which is depressing for some. It is important to remember that home care is different from home health care. Home health care requires registered nurses and trained therapists with medical qualifications to offer assistance at home.
What home care can do for you
Certified home aide providers can do a number of things for their clients. They include:
1. Personal care where they help the clients with bathing, grooming, dressing and preparing meals
Apart from the usual daily chores, you might be looking for other related services. Find out whether it is possible for your provider to offer such services so that you do not have to go looking elsewhere or make too many changes when you need the additional services. The more services your provider can handle, the better and convenient it can be for your current needs or needs that could arise.
How to Find the Best Live in Personal Care Agencies in Perth Amboy,Middlesex County?
It could be difficult to put old Alzheimer patients under home care. One can never predict the changes in the behavioral patterns or progress. Daily activities like sleeping, talking, eating, etc. could become difficult for the patient as well as the care taker. Let me assist you with a few ideas that will help you to take care of Alzheimer patients at home.
An Alzheimer patient might not be interested in any activity. You must try and encourage the patient's strengths. He might not be in any position to learn a new activity or skill.
1. Do not expect too much from an Alzheimer patient. Simple tasks performed well should be accepted.
12. Try and stock only healthy snacks at a place where the person can see.
13. Mostly Alzheimer patients turn agitated, restless or irritable during night. This is quite common and is known as 'sundowning syndrome'. Try to plan in a way such that the patient sleeps early and sleeps well through the night.
14. Try and motivate the person to indulge in physical activities. Taking short naps during daytime is not a good idea. But, the person must be given sufficient rest. This minimizes restlessness in nights and late afternoons.